Monday, January 30, 2012

I Judge.

The other day, while spending w-a-y too much time in the bookstore, I recognized three criteria I use before choosing a book.

1. I judge a book by its cover.
Initially, anyway. That’s not to say I like bold, busy images. To the contrary. I’m often attracted to cover art that makes me stop, stare, and sigh.



2. I judge a book by its title.
It should tell me something about the story. Isn’t that what its there for? If the title doesn’t arouse my interest or somehow allude to the story’s plot, I keep looking until I find one that does. 


3. I judge a book by its blurb.
If a dust jacket description captures my attention, I either purchase it or put it on my wish list for later. (Below is a description and evocative quote from the book, To Kill A Mockingbird.)


Atticus Finch, a lawyer in the Depression-era South, defends a black man against an undeserved rape charge, and his kids against prejudice.
I’ve enjoyed books without ever reading the blurb, liking the cover or being fond of its title--but that isn’t the norm.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just books exactly the same way. I can't stand when a book has a cover that does NOTHING for the story.

Anonymous said...

I pre-judge a book by its cover as we all do. That's why covers are important.

While the cover makes me pick up the book from the shelf (or click on the icon), the blurb sells me on it.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Leslie S. Rose said...

LOVED the To Kill a Mockingbird blurb. I'm so visual that a good cover will slurp me right up.

Jeannie said...

An intriguing cover always captures my attention first, then I'll read the blurb. Those two components cinch the deal. :)
Now that I see the covers in this post...Dang it, I want them all!

Julie Musil said...

I just books the exact same way! I'm very visual. And the blurb must catch my attention.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...